These buns were something my Babas and mom always made as part of Ukrainian holiday celebrations. My mom still makes them and shared the recipe with me!
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 4 beaten eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1.5 tsp salt
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 cups all purpose flour + ~4-5 cups all purpose flour divided (6-7 cups total)
- 1 package quick rising yeast
- 1 bag of pitted prunes
- Mix water, eggs, sugar, salt and oil in one bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix 2 cups of flour and yeast.
- Then pour liquid mixture into the flour/yeast mixture.
- Gradually add the additional 4-5 cups flour until dough stiffens (you can use a mixer which is easiest).
- Brush the top of the dough with a little bit of oil.
- Let the dough rise in the bowl until double (~2hrs). Punch it down.
- Roll out the dough into a circle and cut into triangles (see picture below).
- Place a prune in the middle and roll up into buns.
- Place buns on a greased cookie sheet, put in a warm place and let them rise again (~30min).
- Bake in oven till golden for ~15min at 350 F. Enjoy!