Kung Pao Chicken
I have been making this recipe for over a decade and still love it! Serve over rice for a great stir fry meal.
- 2 lbs (~900g) chicken breast cut into 1” cubes
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp sherry cooking wine (or dry sherry)
- 2 tsp + 1 Tbsp Olive oil or avocado oil, divided
- ¾ cup split cashews
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper and 1 red pepper cut into 1” square pieces
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup soya sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp dry sherry
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (or use less if you don’t like spice)
- Mix together 1 Tbsp cornstarch, pepper and 2 Tbsp sherry cooking wine. Pour over chicken and marinate for 20minutes.
- While chicken is marinating, prepare sauce by combining the above sauce ingredients, mix and set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a large frying pan over medium and sauté cashews until lightly browned. Remove from the pan.
- Heat another tsp of oil and cook green pepper, red pepper and minced garlic until slightly softened. Remove from the pan.
- Heat the last Tbsp of oil and sauté chicken until no longer pink.
- Add the cashews, pepper mixture and sauce back to the pan with the chicken. Stir and simmer until sauce thickens. Enjoy!