I grew up in a Ukrainian family so eating borscht was a common dish especially with Christmas Eve dinner. Now I enjoy making borscht for my own family and love that it freezes well for an easy vegetable addition to meals!
- 6 unpeeled beets (with tops/greens removed)
- 1 Tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup green beans, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 can 28oz/796ml diced tomatoes
- 2 cups peeled potatoes, cubed
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- Optional: 2 tsp fresh dill, chopped
- Possible Toppings: hot sauce and/or sour cream
- Place beets in a large covered soup pot of boiling water for ~30min or until you can pierce them with a fork. Run cold water over the beets to easily rub off the skins. Then cut into small bite size cubes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in soup pot and sauté the onions, carrots, celery until softened ~5min. Add the minced garlic for the last minute.
- Add the beat cubes back to the pot along with all the rest of the ingredients. Stir and cover.
- Cook over medium heat for about 1 hour until vegetables are tender. Enjoy!