Slow Cooker Chili
Set it and forget it with your slow cooker! I have never had great success with chili recipes in the slow cooker but this recipe worked really well. Freeze leftovers in individual containers for a quick lunch! *Adapted from Chowhound.com
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp canola or olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 – 796ml can diced tomatoes
- 1 – 540ml kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups (~480ml) tomato sauce
- Optional topping: pickled jalapenos, drained
- Brown ground beef in a frying pan on the stove. Break into small pieces and cook until no longer pink. Add salt, chili powder and cumin. Mix well and transfer to slow cooker.
- Heat oil in the same pan. Sauté onion, green pepper, mushrooms, and garlic until softened. Combine with the beef in the slow cooker.
- Add in diced tomatoes, kidney beans, and tomato sauce. Stir well.
- Cover and cook for 8 hours on low.
- To be kid-friendly, (if your kids don’t like heat!) add in jalapenos to individual serving bowls if desired. Enjoy!