Sweet & Sour Chicken Rice Bowls
A kid-friendly one pan meal for easy cleanup!
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp soya sauce
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 5 Chicken breasts cut into 1” cubes
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- ~1 cup fresh pineapple cut into chunks (or 1 can of pineapple chunks, juice drained)
- 1.5 cups uncooked white rice
- 1 cup carrots sliced thinly
- ½ cup each diced red and green pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ cup green onion thinly sliced (optional garnish)
- Mix together tomato paste, brown sugar, soya sauce, vinegar, garlic and optional red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Sauté chicken breast chunks in oil in a large deep frying pan (you need a lid) over medium heat until no longer pink.
- Add remaining ingredients except green onion.
- Stir and cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook until most of the liquid is gone and rice is cooked. ~20 minutes. Garnish with optional green onion. Enjoy!